Blakeney village goes back to the Domesday Book when it was called Snitterley. By all accounts, it was a pretty lawless place where piracy against passing ships was common. As with many villages along this coast, royalty was not an uncommon sight drawn particularly by the tasty fresh fish that could be had here.
In 1912, Charles Rothschild bought Blakeney Point and handed it over immediately to the National Trust; thus it became the first nature reserve in Norfolk. It is a three and a half miles long sand and shingle spit with incredible wildlife, including both grey and common seals and breeding terns.
Extract taken From ‘Norfolk – Exploring the Land of Wide Skies’
by Stephen Browning and Daniel Tink
To do: There are ferries from Morston Quay which will take you up close to Blakeney Point.
Blakeney Guildhall, the grand house of wealthy merchants in the 14th or 15th centuries, with a brick vaulted undercroft, is the only surviving clue to the trading importance of this beautiful part of the coast. The Guildhall is in a small alley leading from the Quay. It is owned by National Heritage and is open all year.
Parking at Blakeney: Parking is available on the Quay, but check the high tide board (next to the payment machine) as the carpark can sometimes become flooded on a very high tide.
To watch: The man-made vantage point of Mariners Hill is just inland from the harbour.